Easing The Stress Of Your Family Law Matter

Signs you may be in danger of domestic violence

On Behalf of | May 22, 2020 | Firm News

Violence in a relationship does not always happen suddenly. More often, it can be difficult to detect because the perpetrator gradually elevates his or her abusive behavior. 

If you are thinking about ending your relationship, be aware of these red flags that often signify domestic violence. 

Threats and intimidation 

When a partner makes you feel unsafe, you should take steps to protect yourself. He or she may: 

  • Threaten to commit self-harm or harm you 
  • Threaten your pets 
  • Threaten to involve you in illegal or dangerous activity 
  • Damage or destroy your property 
  • Display weapons in the home 
  • Threaten to take your children away 

Controlling and isolating behavior 

Keeping you away from friends and family members is an abusive partner’s way of limiting your support network. Be aware of your safety if your spouse becomes jealous if you speak with other people or forbids you from seeing the people close to you. When you do go out, he or she might call you constantly or show up where you are. Sometimes, the person may prevent you from having a job or block access to finances so you must rely on him or her for everything. 

Anger and aggression 

If you feel that you constantly need to walk on eggshells to keep your partner happy or suffer repercussions, consider seeking help. A spouse should never make you feel afraid of what will happen if you make a mistake. While everyone has arguments from time to time, constant angry outbursts, days of the silent treatment and ongoing fights you can never resolve create a tense, unhappy atmosphere in the home. 

In Kentucky, you can file a protective order against a person who has stalked, threatened or abused you. The threat of violence is sufficient to seek this legal document from your local Circuit Clerk office. A protective order can prevent your partner from contacting you and from coming to your home, school, or job. You can also request that he or she leave a shared residence.