Easing The Stress Of Your Family Law Matter

Graduating high school senior in the family? Remember to modify your child support.

On Behalf of | May 11, 2022 | Child Custody & Support

High school graduation season is a busy time for parents and children alike. You may be organizing a graduation party to celebrate your child’s accomplishment. You might be helping your child prepare for college or getting them ready to move out on their own.

One thing that can be easy to forget, however, is how this change in life circumstances will affect your child support arrangement. Here is a breakdown of what you need to know:

One child receiving support

If your family has one child for whom you are currently paying child support, then the state of Kentucky should terminate any child support obligation once your child turns 18 and graduates from high school. This process should be automatic, but it is still a good idea to file a motion with the court to terminate it – just to be sure.

Multiple children receiving support

If there are multiple children receiving child support, the process is not as straightforward. In this case, you will need to file a motion to modify your child support payments – to exclude your child who has just graduated. In this petition, you will need to make a case to the court as to why your child support obligation should be lowered. You will need to submit this motion to the same court that originally ordered your child support.

If you and your ex are on good terms, it may be possible to come to an amended child support agreement outside of court. In this case, you would be able to avoid some of the courtroom procedure and simply submit your agreement to the judge for approval.

Anytime you’re seeking to modify the terms of your divorce, it’s worthwhile to consult with an experienced family law attorney. They can help to advocate for your best interests and ensure that you are getting a fair deal.