An accusation of domestic abuse can greatly impact you during divorce proceedings. When an estranged spouse flings accusations your way, you may have a difficult time making headway in your divorce, not to mention the ramifcations the allegation can have on your future in other respects.
It’s important to protect yourself when you’ve been accused of domestic violence. Don’t take the allegation lightly or think you can talk your way out of it yourself. Below are some steps you can take to help protect your interests now and in the future.
When facing a domestic abuse allegation, please consider the following steps:
- Contact an attorney: Promptly do so. This situation will prove to be one of the biggest challenges you have faced. An experienced attorney has the skills to understand how to proceed and knows what must be done to prove your innocence.
- Maintain your composure: This is no time for explosive emotions, which may lead to irrational behavior. By subscribing to a level-headed approach, you will show a judge that you are stable-minded.
- Create a list of supporting witnesses: You want to have character witnesses who may provide supporting testimony or written statements. You also want to track down alibi witnesses who will dispute your spouse’s accusations.
- Do not contact your estranged spouse: This is an absolute must. No phone calls, texts, emails or messages via social media. No going to his or her home or workplace. You do not want to harm your case as the judge may deem you a threat.
- Protect yourself from false accusations: This may not be the first time that your spouse has falsely accused you. Put together a chronology of all the times this has happened. A judge will recognize a pattern of falsehoods.
- See your children: Your estranged may prove to be an obstacle and not want you to see the kids. Look to your attorney for guidance here. It is crucial to maintain regular visits with your children.
Granted, you likely are scared and confused. Follow these guidelines to help you avoid false steps.
Protecting and recovering
The challenges mount when faced with a domestic abuse accusation. However, you can overcome these challenges. By staying calm and strategic, you can protect yourself. You can recover from this.