Easing The Stress Of Your Family Law Matter

Common Questions Regarding Kentucky Family Law

Navigating any type of family law matter can be both emotional and complex. At HP Law, PLLC, our clients often come to us full of questions regarding everything from the court process to their children’s futures. They rely on our attorneys, who have over 30 years of combined legal experience, to find the answers they need. Below are examples of some common questions that we hear.

How is property divided in a Kentucky divorce?

Kentucky is an equitable distribution state, which means that the court will divide marital property in a fair manner, though that may not mean a 50/50 division. Property can include many different types of assets such as interest in a business, retirement accounts, a spouse’s professional license or a vacation home.

Will I receive spousal maintenance?

The court looks at many factors to determine whether either spouse should receive spousal maintenance (also known as alimony or spousal support). Kentucky recognizes three types of support:

  • Temporary – These payments cover the separation period until the divorce is final.
  • Rehabilitative – This short-term maintenance supports a spouse while they complete job training or education in order to enter or advance in the workforce.
  • Permanent – Permanent support is rare and provides indefinite payments if you cannot work due to illness, age or disability.

What are my rights as an abandoned military spouse?

Though military divorces are similar to civilian divorces in many ways, they do have a few unique aspects because of the many government benefits enjoyed by military families. If you are an abandoned military spouse, you may still be able to retain those benefits, but you should have the help of a lawyer who understands this special area of law.

Are the family law rights of LGBTQ+ couples in Kentucky the same as anyone else?

Although the law has advanced considerably for LGBTQ+ families over the last decade, we find that these couples still face some unique challenges when it comes to marriage, divorce and adoption. We always stress the importance of having an attorney who understands the unique facets of legal rights for gay and lesbian couples and same-sex families.

What are the options for people facing domestic violence in Kentucky?

If you or your children are suffering from domestic violence, we can help you seek a protective order and discuss the best way to keep you and your family safe. If you have been accused of domestic violence, we understand how serious of an accusation that is and we can help you fight the accusations, including fighting against a protective order.

Can I ask the court for full custody of my children?

Kentucky courts will rarely grant one parent full custody except in extreme cases. Courts want to encourage a healthy relationship with both parents after a divorce, which they often find is in the child’s best interest. If your spouse is abusive or has a substance abuse problem, however, the court will tend to put the child’s safety first.

Bring Your Questions To HP Law, PLLC

Your family’s situation is unique to you. Find answers to your specific questions by speaking with one of our experienced lawyers. You may call our Louisville office at 502-996-8069 or fill out our online contact form. We offer free 15-minute phone consultations.