Hoge Partners, PLLC

Parental relocation after a divorce: It is possible

One of the consequences of a divorce with children is that the court can limit your ability to move. After all, you cannot legally do anything that infringes on your ex's rights to see the children. Moving them out of the state could make visitation impossible -- much less the exchange of custody -- and so you have less freedom than you did before the marriage.

That said, there are exceptions to this rule, reasons that you can move. You simply have to make sure that you clear it with the court first and get them to adjust the custody agreement to reflect it. Do not simply move because you want to do so and you think it's fine. Take the proper steps first. Some reasons parents can get permission to relocate include:

  • You want to take a new job that you have already been offered.
  • You want to find a new living situation that will improve the children's quality of life.
  • You want to move closer to the rest of your extended family, giving your children closer relationships with their relatives -- and potentially giving you assistance raising the children, which you need in the wake of the divorce.
  • You believe that you can move and still give your ex the opportunity to see the children on a regular visitation schedule.

The court always puts the children first, which is why relocation is more difficult than many parents realize if it will break the children's relationship with the other parent. You must know exactly what legal steps to take in this situation.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Do You Have Any Legal Questions?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hoge Partners, PLLC
239 5th St
Suite 600
Louisville, Kentucky 40202

Phone: 502-996-8069
Fax: (502)-583-1223
Map & Directions